24 August 2022

Plenty of Rope


A very enjoyable read is Jerry Burchard's piece in the two-volume Darkroom books by Lustrum Press where he's talking about his night photography . Jerry said "My decision is what to point it at and what the exposure will be. The camera sees more than I can, so I give it plenty of rope and watch what happens." 

I don't know whether I gave the camera plenty of rope in this case, but it did record a sea of dancing lights in the background which I could never have anticipated.


The print is on Ilford Cooltone paper, so if on your monitor you see a coolish tone  in the second picture, that should be all right.

6 comments:

  1. Hello Omar, my name is Oliver, I’m writing from Mexico, I used to read your blogspot, was very interesting, wondering why it’s not available anymore.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buenos Dias Oliver. Thanks for writing! My old blog (GelDurKal) had a lot of focus on darkroom practices, which I found less and less meaningful over the years. Also it was in Turkish which limited its readership (many fine nuances are lost in google translate)...not that there were hoards of people reading it. Still I wanted to keep it online/available, but then for some other reason I decided to close it.

      This new blog mainly exists because I wanted a clean slate where I'd try to get away from technicalities as much as I can and challenge myself in things that I find are more relevant to photography...the essentials if you will.

      All the best

      Delete
    2. I forgot to mention, I stopped writing in GelDurkal in 2017. So that blog's been dormant for five years.

      Delete
  2. I take it you used flash? Never a thing I've tried really, apart from flash cubes on a Instamatic back in the 1970's!
    That is a very cool tone btw.
    P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Phil, flash indeed. I photographed without owning a flash for two decades and rarely missed one. A few years ago I saw a second-hand Leica SF24 and decided to buy it for situations like this. I can't say that I use it very often though.

      Delete
    2. I've actually found an old Vivitar that I must have bought with my OM10 40 years ago . . . must give it a go ';0)

      Delete