1 August 2026

The Rhine Flows In E Flat Major

 


Come June, the great mowing begins. All the spring grass that has been growing waist high in the fields and along the river banks, transforming the landscape into a lush green, so refreshing after the dreary winter, is cut down. By July, the yellow of hot summers dominates the scenery.

I hadn't been by the Rhine for a month. This morning, August 1st, I jumped on my bike and pedalled down to the river, eager to see how much the waters had receded as a result of the ongoing drought. It wasn't too bad. As expected, the banks were hay coloured, and there was a delicate cloud cover. The river was flowing without a sound*. Indeed, it was utterly quiet all around. I set up my tripod and made a photo, just meters away from where I had made another picture in April.


 *Did you know that "The Rhine flows in E flat major"? This saying, presumably common in German classical music circles, is a reference to Wagner's Rheingold and also Schumann's 3rd Symphony ("Rheinische"), both of which are in E flat major.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Omar - that's quite a difference in water height - considering it's a major waterway. We've got the same over here, though thankfully it hasn't been as bad as down South. There's a lovely sense of peace about both pictures . . and thankfully there's no one blasting Wagner at you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Phil. Ships are still cruising. I’d heard that about 7-8 years ago it was so bad they had to stop traffic. The drought continues, so we’ll see how much worse it’ll get.
    Hope all is well with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah well I suppose that is something! And yeah I remember it a good few years back.
    All fine here thanks - hope it is the same with you.

    ReplyDelete