28 November 2023

Vivian and Other Strangers

Sometimes I think about Vivian Maier. Not her posthumously discovered photographic archive, but how she had kept it all to herself throughout her whole life. Decades of serious photography and seemingly no urge to show it to anyone! You might remember Maslow's hierarchy of needs. Self-esteem is right up there in the pyramid. We tend to want the pat on the back. There is a reason for the like button on social media after all. Maybe Vivian thought about her photography in different ways; ways that were completely detached from what we would call "achievement"; the simple love of a picture as a memory for example. Or maybe other forces were at play; maybe she was discouraged by a male dominated milieu. Being a nanny, was there anybody who would've taken her work seriously? It's also a possibility that she just didn't feel like pushing her own work. Without the pushing and promoting nothing tends to happen. The whole thing is a mystery I wish Vivian didn't take to her grave.

I usually don't stop a person on the street to take their picture, preferring to photograph in the confines of what's available without my interference. But here I was, on the ferry in Istanbul. It was a cold spring day. No matter how cold or wet though, I tend to travel on the upper deck, in open air. The ship was approaching the pier, and the passengers began to make a move, when I saw this young man with his dog tucked into his coat. I didn't think twice, hurried over and asked permission for a photo, which he kindly accepted. "Please, don't bugger this up!" whizzed through my head as I quickly focused the Rollei T (loaded with HP5) and exposed two frames. Thank you, dear stranger!

I've been using Ilford's cheaper Kentmere range more and more and find both the 100 and 400 speed versions are perfectly fine films. Here are two prints from my last roll of Kentmere 400. It was developed in home-brewed D76 stock solution, together with another roll of the same film. You know what?...if someone had told me these prints were from 100 speed film, I wouldn't have doubted them one moment; the grain is that tight.

The first is a picture I made whilst having a quick and lonely dinner in a local Kadikoy* restaurant. I'd been observing the scene, the comings and goings for a while, then when I thought all looked right, I raised my Leica with 35mm Summicron, focused, waited for eye contact, and exposed one frame. As I lowered the camera the chef ordered the waiter to add the photo to my bill :)

* A district on the Asian side of Istanbul.

After dinner I strolled around in the streets. I've always liked the night-time look of some of the stand-alone cafes by the pier in Kadikoy. They can have a Hopperian air with the neons and the lonely souls. Here, I didn't want to get too close, as I wanted to include the enveloping darkness of the night in the picture. The same camera, same lens, same film, and the same suspense for the "right" moment. 1/30th (or maybe 1/60th) at f2. Man, the Summicron never ceases to amaze me.


Many years ago, I showed my mom some of my pictures. "Why do you take pictures of people you don't know?" she asked. Her question still makes me chuckle today, although I have often asked the same question to myself.

~

Finally, let me show you some prints and the Kentmere negs. The prints are on 24x30cm Ilford Classic and slightly selenium toned. It's a bit difficult for me to get even lighting on my viewing board (oh the irony!), so no perfect reproductions here (although I've fiddled around with the file quite a bit to get a decent look), but they should give an idea. They look much better to the naked eye ;-)


5 comments:


  1. Hi Omar - hope you are well. That's a great post and as usual some great photographs. The dog looking to the side absolutely makes the portrait though. As for the cafe - it really amazes me what you can get away with with film and a steady hand - it is quite Hopper-esque. You do actually seems to be getting great results with Kentmere - have you tried it with any other developers? I can see myself having to try a roll or three. With regards to Maier - maybe she just enjoyed the process without a thought towards her place in things? I mix with quite a number of photographers these days (after decades of solitude) and pretty much to a man they just enjoy the process (albeit digitally) and aren't really aiming for anything. Of course, maybe she didn't think she was 'good enough' and especially so in the male-dominated times she lived - who knows - it was a very different world then! All the best as always!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phil. Good to hear from you. With Kentmere I've only used D76 so far. Not that I use many different developers these days. Let me know what you think, once you get around to try it.
      In Istanbul the main driver of many photographers is to make a statement. So it's projects, publications, books, exhibitions etc. Which is not a bad thing at all. But I also often miss the naivete of simply having fun and enjoying the whole process without loftier goals. Which, as you say, might well be what Maier did.
      Thanks again, and take care.

      Delete
    2. Mysterious Crumphorn28 November 2023 at 12:17

      Yeah I'll give it a go - I've HC110, PHD and R09 at my disposal, plus a couple of ancient boxes of Perceptol. I can also recommend Kentmere RC which is a fine paper - slightly faster than Ilford, but exactly the same Grade settings - you can do ad-hoc test strips and use your judgement to pretty much nail exposures on Ilford with it, which saves a few pence per sheet, but it all adds up these days! As for making a statement - that's really interesting, and sort of different to over here (well, my bit of over here). Not sure whether you Instagram, but I started (https://www.instagram.com/p/C0L5BMMsGR7/) because of the DCA forum and am actually quite enjoying using it - I suppose that is making a statement in a way, though more like whispering about yourself in a seething marketplace ';0)

      Delete
    3. I've now started following you on IG ;-P Thanks for letting me know!
      I do post on IG from time to time. I have very ambivalent feelings about that place. Can't quite explain it to myself, and I've thought about it a lot, but every time I post on IG I feel "dirty". I guess that sounds strange but that's how I feel.
      Cheers

      Delete
    4. Trumpet Farquahar28 November 2023 at 21:26

      Thank you! I know what you mean though - it is a hard one isn't it. It was made 'better' for me when I realised you didn't have to crop and could effectively use it as a bit of a gateway to a blog. I can also use it to post pictures of things that don't make the blog. My one thing about it and indeed all online stuff, is the energy commitments you are enforcing by getting servers to store this stuff . . . but I suppose at least it isn't pictures of my last meal or a dog's bum etc etc etc . . . !

      Delete